Mindfulness is the practice of staying in the moment and focusing on your present self. It is to feel the world around you, be aware of your feelings, and be in tune with your senses without judgment.
Benefits of Mindfulness: Reduced stress, emotion regulation, decreased depression symptoms, lower blood pressure, increased focus, and enhanced spirituality.
To cultivate emotional resilience, start a mindfulness schedule:
- Monday- Gratitude: recognizing and being thankful for all blessings, big and small
- Tuesday- Compassion: acknowledging others’ suffering and doing something to alleviate it, and acknowledging our own imperfections and loving ourselves despite them
- Wednesday- Acceptance: working to control what is controllable and accept what is out of one’s control, and being open to possibilities
- Thursday- Higher Meaning: understanding one’s role in and contribution to the world
- Friday- Forgiveness: recognizing and respecting each person’s humanness and fallibility, and choosing to forgive as a gift to oneself and to others